Return to CommunityGarden.org | Resources | Programs | Events | Mission | Membership | Support | Find A Garden

Opportunity to be a Research Participant

I am a student at Emory University doing research with Dr. Eri Saikawa in the
Department of Environmental Science. I am writing my thesis on Atlanta gardeners’ awareness of heavy metal soil contaminants, whether they have the knowledge to identify health effects of contaminants, and whether they know of resources to cope with heavy metal contamination if they ever come into contact with it.

As part of the project, I’m hoping to have Atlanta gardeners fill out a short survey (either on paper or online) with questions about these topics. If anyone is interested and able to fill out the survey, please reach out to me at lauren.paige.balotin@emory.edu for more information. We are looking for participants of all backgrounds!

The project also has an outreach component, and we would be happy to provide you with flyers and information, if you would like to learn more about how to identify heavy metal soil contaminants. Our research group is also having an outreach event for the Atlanta Science Festival in March where we will be testing soils for free!